LA Novel: The Last Cuentista

Given that I’m talking about my LA class, it doesn’t take a genius to understand that my fellow students and I are reading a book. Specifically, The Last Cuentista by Donna Barba Higuera (if you wondering, cuentista means storyteller in Spanish). I’m not going to give a summary of the whole book, in fact, I can’t, because my LA class and I have only read 34% of the book ( I know this because the app I’m reading this book on tells me the how much I’ve gotten through the book so far). But, in this post, I’ll tell you everything I’ve read up till now. A girl named Petra Peña along with her mom, dad, and little brother, Javier, were selected to go to another planet called Sagan because Halley’s comet, which is visible from earth every 76 years, was knocked of course by a solar flair from the sun. Petra and her family are forced to leave loved ones, friends, and pets for their new planet. But, from the years spent with Petra’s grandmother, Lita, Petra has received a love for stories. When just aboard the ship, Petra gets word that her elective she chose to learn along with the subjects that her mom and dad chose for her does not show up on her cog (a device used for en cognito, which teaches Petra things unconsciously for the 380 years Petra will live in stasis). Her elective was lessons in mythology do to her love of stories, but one group can’t let her learn those things… I could tell you more about what I’ve read so far, and in fact, I’ve left out a lot of detail and important characters, but this is a minor introduction, so if this book sounds interesting already, you should have the joy of reading all those things yourself.

Picture of The Last Cuentista by Donna Barba Higuera taken by me: